WKD question

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Tue Jul 28 00:15:17 CEST 2020

Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:

> Stefan Claas <sac at 300baud.de> wrote:
> > Enigmail for Thunderbird on a fresh Ubuntu system
> > when clicking on a signed message from a friend, which has properly set-up WKD Thunderbird/Enigmail can not fetch the pub
> > key. :-(
>
> Unfortunately, ‘can not’ is not very informative description.  Does it return any error?  How do you know that even tries?

Sorry, for the bad description. When having a signed message in Enigmail
and you do not have the pub key in your key ring it shows a yellow bar and
ask if you like to decrypt the message. When clicking on the decrypt button
it searches key servers and not WKD.

> > What have I to do that this works? I thought that GnuPG and Enigmail nowadays defaults to WKD too.
>
> You mean, that you expect, that GPG should silently fetch absent keys when checking signatures out of a box?  No, it does not
> do that:

[...]

Thanks, with auto-key-retrieve and auto-key-locate WKD etc. it works when
clicking on the decrypt button in Enigmail or the lock button in Claws-Mail

Regards
Stefan

--
my 'hidden' service gopherhole: