WKD question

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Tue Jul 28 00:24:26 CEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:00:07PM +0200, Stefan Claas wrote:
>For testing my new Nitrokey I have just install Enigmail for
>Thunderbird on a fresh Ubuntu system and when clicking on
>a signed message from a friend, which has properly set-up
>WKD Thunderbird/Enigmail can not fetch the pub key. :-(

Unless I missed something, I believe Enigmail will only attempt to
automatically fetch a key from a Web Key Directory when *composing* a
message (if there’s no key for the recipient in the local keyring), and
*not* when checking a signature on a received message.

See that excerpt from Enigmail 2.0 changelog [1]:

> Support for Web Key Directory (WKD) is implemented. Enigmail will try
> to download unavailable keys during message composition from WKD.

You can force GnuPG to try to fetch a missing key when verifying a
signature by enabling the --auto-key-retrieve option (please read the
note about the “web bug” in gpg’s man page before doing so—that option
is disabled by default for a reason.)

Regards,

- Damien

[1] https://enigmail.net/index.php/en/download/changelog