decrypt aes256 encrypted file without gpg-agent

Ralph Seichter ralph at ml.seichter.de
Tue Jun 30 08:55:34 CEST 2020

* Fourhundred Thecat:

>> Whining about a design detail of free software? Get a grip.
>
> There are more examples of bad design.

Are there now? GnuPG is software that has evolved since its introduction
in 1997. Can you show me any meaningful software of yours that has been
evolving over 23 years and has what you consider "good design"? It
should be interesting.

> In fact, gpg epitomizes a perfect anti-UNIX design. (See Eric
> S. Raymond for details, what UNIX philosophy means)

Ha, now you're trying to teach your grandma to suck eggs. ;-) Besides,
quoting ESR is a somewhat risky business. He said and wrote a lot over
the decades, much of which I consider nonsense.

> I believe this project is going in the wrong direction, and bad design
> decisions are being made.

What insight do you have in the design and development of GnuPG; in its
goals and restrictions? There is a difference between you not liking
something for a personal reason, and objectively "bad design". You are
entitled to your opinion of course, but unless you can demonstrate the
skills to come up with a better design for free software that offers the
same functionality as GnuPG, that opinion does not mean so much.

-Ralph