How to use reprepro (or anything really) over ssh?

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Wed Mar 11 11:07:57 CET 2020

On 11/03/2020 09:04, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 15:59, Andrew Gallagher said:
>
>> reprepro uses gpgme, so it doesn't support `pinentry-mode loopback` (it
>> crashes if I try). And since I am normally logged in to my home machine,
>
> GPGME supports pinentry modes since 1.4.0 (release early 2013):

OK, apologies.

*reprepro* doesn't appear to support `pinentry-mode loopback`, for
whatever reason. But this is orthogonal to the substantial point...

>> Is pinentry ignoring its command line parameters? And how do I get it to
>> behave? I can only manage this repository when I'm sitting at my home
>> computer, which is not acceptable.
>
> After having sshed into the other box run there:
>
>   gpg-connect-agent updatestartuptty /bye

I have tried this, and it makes no difference. I have also attempted to
work around the problem by killing gpg-agent entirely. But given that
`pinentry` is being passed the correct `display` option (as evidenced by
`ps ax`), the issue does not appear to be on the agent side.

If I run `pinentry --display $DISPLAY` inside my ssh session, and then
say `GETPIN`, it does not bring up a window. If I do the same in a local
terminal, it brings up the correct window.

The evidence would suggest that pinentry-gnome3 v1.1.0-2 on Debian
blindly uses `:0` no matter what parameters are passed.

--
Andrew Gallagher