ed448 support in gpg?

Jonathan Cross jcross at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 13:30:49 CET 2020

>> Is ed448 available / in development?
>
> Will be part of 2.3.

Great news!

> However, even then I do not suggest to create such
> a key because the majority of deployed software won't be able to use
> it.

How will older clients deal with a certification signature from this unrecognized algorithm?

> If you care about the secuity of your key use a smartcard.

Yes, I intend to do this with the subkeys (Curve25519)
Only the primary (certification key) would use ed448 which would rarely be used and only offline.

> Think of your threat model and, as usual, see https://www.xkcd.com/538/

Agreed  :-)
In this situation, I just want to avoid creating a new key-pair as long as possible and ed448 is likely to survive just a bit longer from what I understand.
Performance is irrelevant.

Jonathan