Comparison of RSA vs elliptical keys

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Fri May 15 09:04:13 CEST 2020

Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> > When you work in compliance mode it should be IHMO possible that
> > people wishing to communicate with you (from foreign countries) and
> > may have a different opinion about privacy,
>
> Sure.  And if they're important enough for me to justify breaking
> compliance, I am perfectly capable of removing the "rfc4880" flag from
> my gpg.conf file.
>
> There is no excuse for willfully breaking RFC4880 compliance *when the
> user has explicitly requested strict compliance*.

Certainly there are many reasons to extend the standard, which is not
set in stone and which is not a politically adopted law, for meaningful
things.

Of course, a program author has the right to design his program as he
sees fit, but please don't be surprised if far-sighted pioneers expand
this standard to meet the needs of a user base who would also like to
use this standard.

Regards
Stefan

--