"just invent something..."

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Wed May 20 20:52:56 CEST 2020

> On 20 May 2020, at 18:51, LisToFacTor via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users at gnupg.org> wrote:
>
> Demanding a piece of information from someone who would prefer not
> to give it is equally user-hostile, especially so if he who demands
> it does so only because it is required by some internal mechanics
> of the system he constructed

“Demand” is a strong word that I don’t believe is justified here, and only serves to inflame the debate.

Most implementations of email require that you enter a “real name” of some kind. OpenPGP/GPG strongly encourage you to use the same real name on your key as you use on your email profile - this is for the benefit of your correspondents, since using different IDs will likely cause confusion. You are free to ignore this recommendation but I don’t think the documentation should encourage novices to do so.