"just invent something..."

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon May 25 09:13:28 CEST 2020

> The point is, if I met you as Raubritter, a government-issued id showing
> a different name is unlikely to help.

I refer you back to the part of the FAQ which says the certificate
signing process is controversial because every Tom, Dick, and Harry has
their own idea on how to do it.

If you can convince the list that the FAQ needs updating, I'll update
it.  But otherwise, I'm going to consider this yet another opinion on
what the right thing to do is, and although I certainly think it's on
topic for the list, I'm not going to consider changing the FAQ until and
unless there's buy-in from others.  :)

> PS: I am no German speaker, so I have no idea what Raubritters are. Or
> what would that term be used for 30 years ago, fwiw.

Nabokov once said that translations were like women: the beautiful ones
weren't faithful, and the faithful ones weren't beautiful.

Literally, "raubritter" means "robber-knight" and historically refers to
minor nobility in the medieval period who extorted money out of anyone
they could.  In English literature, these figures are normally called
"black knights".

Use whichever meaning you want.  :)