"just invent something..."

Ángel angel at pgp.16bits.net
Tue May 26 01:54:02 CEST 2020

On 2020-05-25 at 03:13 -0400, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> If you can convince the list that the FAQ needs updating, I'll update
> it.  But otherwise, I'm going to consider this yet another opinion on
> what the right thing to do is, and although I certainly think it's on
> topic for the list, I'm not going to consider changing the FAQ until and
> unless there's buy-in from others.  :)

I do think the FAQ could benefit from an update. However, I do not claim
to know which would the right words to put there.
There are some ideas on my previous mails. I hoped that could spark some
discussion, but they are not near a proposal. That's a tougher task :)

Maybe by giving it enough time I might come up with something to work
with, far from perfect, but some draft to built upon.

> Nabokov once said that translations were like women: the beautiful ones
> weren't faithful, and the faithful ones weren't beautiful.
>
> Literally, "raubritter" means "robber-knight" and historically refers to
> minor nobility in the medieval period who extorted money out of anyone
> they could.  In English literature, these figures are normally called
> "black knights".

Thanks for the insight!

Best

Ángel