Certified OpenPGP-encryption after release of Thunderbird 78

Ralph Seichter abbot at monksofcool.net
Wed May 27 01:15:38 CEST 2020

* karel-v:

> With the approaching release of Thunderbird 78 Gpg4Win and Enigmail
> won't be available any longer and the new OpenPGP-implementation of
> Thunderbird won't be certified to the best of my knowledge.

I just checked the BSI's list of certified products[1]. Gpg4Win and
Gpg4KDE are currently listed until 2022-06-30, and you can continue
using them. Thunderbird and Enigmail are not included in that list,
so you are apparently using your own software mix anyway.

Enigmail will no longer be available for Thunderbird 78, but you can
copy message bodies between Thunderbird and GPG using the clipboard. Of
course, this is a major inconvenience, but currently it seems that it's
either this method or sticking with the current Thunderbird version and
Enigmail.

-Ralph