Avoid recipient-compatibility SHA1

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Nov 2 13:49:36 CET 2020

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 00:10, Phil Pennock said:

> I just sent a message to N recipients, and I think one of them probably
> has some preference algorithm in their key details, because this one
> mail was signed using SHA1, not my defaults.

Fixed:

commit 15746d60d492f5792e4a179ab0a08801b4049695
Author: Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>
Date:   Mon Nov 2 13:39:58 2020 +0100

    gpg: Do not use weak digest algos if selected by recipient prefs.

    * g10/misc.c (is_weak_digest): New.
    (print_digest_algo_note): Use it here.
    * g10/sig-check.c (check_signature_end_simple): Use it.
    * g10/sign.c (hash_for): Do not use recipient_digest_algo if it is in
    the least of weak digest algorithm.
    --

    If a message is signed and encrypted to several recipients, the to be
    used digest algorithm is deduced from the preferences of the

    Note that a smarter way of selecting the algo is to check this while
    figuring out the algorithm - this needs more testing and thus we do it
    the simple way.

or in short if any of the preferences would lead to a weak algo the
feature of selecting the digest algo from the preferences is disabled.

I intend to put this also in to 2.2.24.

> recipient.  That's fine.  I'd rather create pressure for people to fix
> their systems to use modern cryptography than cater to their brokenness
> with sensitive messages.

People won't update their keys - that just does not work.  Ignoring the
preferences is a better way here.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner