how to suppress new "insecure passphrase" warning

Alan Bram alan.bram at cornell.edu
Thu Sep 17 00:03:03 CEST 2020

I have been using gnupg for a few years now, with no change in the way I
invoke it. Recently (I guess my package manager updated to a new version:
2.2.23) it started injecting a warning about "insecure passphrase" and
suggesting that I ought to include a digit or special character.

I don't want to do that. I have a strong passphrase that was generated via
Diceware. It's simply a few words made of plain letters; but it's long
enough, and totally random. Stronger than a short, lame password that
someone simply appends a "1" to.

Is there a way to suppress the annoying warning?