Announcing paperbackup.py to backup keys as QR codes on paper

Philihp Busby philihp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 03:21:59 CEST 2020

A: Take a look at Paperkey, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Paperkey; I think it serves this need well. Not to diminish your work, good job! It's probably a good thing to have diversity in implementations, so we don't get stuck with the only thing being written in OCaml.

B: I'm not well versed in Python, but have you tried `pip install qrencode`?

C: If you're using an rsa4096 key, extracting just the secret key with paperkey will just barely fit in a QR code, and if you have subkeys then just forget it with "export-minimal". This, to me, is a good reason to migrate to an ed25519 key which is a deci-order of magnitude smaller (e.g. https://philihp.com/assets/id_ed25519.png)