Which keyserver

Phil Pennock gnupg-users at spodhuis.org
Sat Sep 19 20:34:13 CEST 2020

On 2020-09-19 at 11:44 +0100, MFPA via Gnupg-users wrote:
> On Friday 18 September 2020 at 4:32:55 PM, in
> <mid:20200918153255.GB491907 at fullerene.field.pennock-tech.net>, Phil
> Pennock via Gnupg-users wrote:-
>

> > keys.gnupg.net is a CNAME for
> > hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net -- which is
> > now returning zero results.
>

> The GnuPG manual's description [0] of the Dirmngr option "--keyserver name" still ends with "If no keyserver is explicitly configured, dirmngr will use the built-in default of hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net." Is this still true, or was the default changed?

The original question was:
} I use GPG4Win and I've noticed that "hkp://keys.gnupg.net" is not

so that's what I answered.  keys.gnupg.net _used to be_ the default, but
it was changed and nowadays there is both a CNAME in DNS and logic in
modern GnuPG to hard-replace the hostname.

The mapping is in dirmngr/server.c:make_keyserver_item() and the default
is found via compile-time configure, which defaults to
hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net (see configure.ac
DIRMNGR_DEFAULT_KEYSERVER).