[OT] Tutanota security/privacy concerns (was: Re: How would you do that ...)

Ángel angel at pgp.16bits.net
Sat Aug 28 00:39:38 CEST 2021

On 2021-08-27 at 18:35 +0000, Стефан Васильев via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not checked again, but can tell you from the past that they
> check what web browser you are using, because when you use an anti-
> fingerprint add on for your browser and it generates a User Agent
> string with an (old) unsupported browser Tutanota complains and tells
> you to use the latest Browser  x,y,z. If they do it any longer or if
> they do full fingerprinting I do not know.

This is probably unrelated to fingerprinting the user. Most likely they
do that in order to check that the browser is able to use certain
features they use (rather than using feature detection instead).
Or maybe they do that just to force their clients not to use outdated
(and thus probably insecure) browsers.

In any case, using an User Agent which is not common (such as an old
browser, or a made-up one) will actually make you stand out, not
conceal you.

Regards