[OT] Tutanota security/privacy concerns (was: Re: How would you do that ...)

Стефан Васильев stefan.vasilev at posteo.ru
Fri Aug 27 20:35:47 CEST 2021

l0f4r0 wrote:

> Hi Stefan, all,
>
> Oops, I think I wanted to react sooner but didn't visibly...
>
> 8 mai 2021, 15:12 de stefan.vasilev at posteo.ru:

>> BTW. Tutanota does (full???) Browser fingerprinting and they where
>> required
>>
>> to 'upgrade' their email service.
>>
> Thanks for the notice.
>
> So are you implying Tutanota does not do browser fingerprinting
> anymore?
> Actually, I cannot find any public source about this. Would you have
> some pointers to share please?

Hi,

I have not checked again, but can tell you from the past that they check
what web browser you are using, because when you use an anti-fingerprint
add on for your browser and it generates a User Agent string with an
(old)
unsupported browser Tutanota complains and tells you to use the latest
Browser  x,y,z. If they do it any longer or if they do full
fingerprinting I do
not know.

> While we are at it, by any chance, do you/people have (other)
> complaints/concerns about Tutanota from a security or privacy points
> of view?

I guess Tutanota is a fine service, like many others, but I would like
see Monero cryptocurrency support, when one likes to sign up via Tor.
(have not checked lately if this is already possible)

Regards
Stefan