fingerprint associated public key does not match displayed public key

S.B. sami.badri at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 12:52:28 CET 2021

Hello GnuPG world,

I'm a new (and obsessed) pgp user, so please bear with me.  Also, I
hope I'm in the right place.  I read through some archives and the
questions seemed a little advanced.  I hope I'm not annoying anyone
here.

I use GnuPG 2.3.3 on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS Monterey (v. 12.0.1)

Here is my situation:  I have imported a public key using
gpg --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys fingerprint*

*provided by the intended recipient on their profile page

The person also displayed the pgp public key block text (in armor) but
not as an asc file.  I first tried importing the block directly into
gpg but couldn't figure it out.

when comparing the imported key (again, obtained via the keyserver
using the fingerprint) to the displayed public key block, they do not
match.

Reasons for this (I think) are:
1.  either the fingerprint or the key has been changed but not updated
on the profile page
2.  it's a scam/hack
3.  I don't understand what's going on (most likely reason)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.