GnuPG / Mailvelope on Windows 11

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Dec 23 11:00:06 CET 2021

Hello,

Am Mittwoch 15 Dezember 2021 13:07:21 schrieb Rhetoric Bohling via
Gnupg-users:

> I recently was in a loop trying to figure out GnuPG on Windows 10/11. Can
> you natively use GnuPG?

yes, you can use GnuPG natively build on Windows, either with a graphical or a
command line interface. The official distribution of GnuPG is included in
   www.gpg4win.org

For some use cases, there is also a crypto-engine only "simple" installer
availalbe from https://gnupg.org/download/index.html
see section of binary releases on this page.

> Or is it limited to the few implementations of it
> through Kleapatra/etc.?pgp.

Kleopatra is one of several applications that use the native
GnuPG installation on Windows. The Outlook add-in, the explorer plugin
also use it.

(Because GnuPG implements open standards like OpenPGP or the Cryptographic
Message Syntax, it is interoperable with other implementations of those
standards.)

> I was using Mailvelope, and I could not get the Mailvelope app to recognize
> I was using GnuPG. It kept saying OpenPGP. I am confused.

Mailvelope uses an OpenPGP implementation called OpenPGP.js by default,
because it is fully implemented in Javascript.
There is the possibility to use GnuPG as backend to Mailvelope,
but you need to activate it,
see https://github.com/mailvelope/mailvelope/wiki/Mailvelope-GnuPG-integration

(Both backend "OpenPGP.js" and "GnuPG" implement "OpenPGP". :) )

Best Regards,
Bernhard