fingerprint associated public key does not match displayed public key

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Dec 16 16:49:28 CET 2021

On Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2021 16:37:30 CET S.B. via Gnupg-users wrote:
> maybe I'm not explaining it well.

Indeed.

> I was able to import a public key using:
>
> gpg --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys fingerprint*
>
> the fingerprint was provided to me by the intended recipient via their
> profile page.
>
> the profile page also displayed the pgp public key block
>
> when i compared the imported pgp public key block (which I obtained
> using the import command and the provided fingerprint) to the
> displated pgp public key block, they didn't match
>
> shouldn't they match?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you are comparing because you do not tell
us how you get the "fingerprints" that you are comparing.

If you do not want to give us more details because you want to protect the
personal data of the intended recipient then that's completely understandable.
But in this case you have to ask the intended recipient why the information
provided by them on their profile page does not match what you get when you
receive their key from the key server.

Regards,
Ingo