fingerprint associated public key does not match displayed public key

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Dec 17 13:01:57 CET 2021

Please reply inline unless your email client makes this difficult. As you can
see from the replies to your messages that's what we prefer on this mailing
list. It helps to make the context of the replies more clear.

There is a Frequently Asked Questions document that you may want to read if
you haven't done so already:
https://gnupg.org/faq/gnupg-faq.html

On Freitag, 17. Dezember 2021 02:43:25 CET S.B. via Gnupg-users wrote:
> When you want to give someone your public key, do you normally just
> give your email, fingerprint, key ID, or the armor form key block?

The easiest way is to use WKD/WKS (Web Key Directory/Service) if your email
provider supports this because then some OpenPGP-aware automatically download
your key when someone enters your email address into their email client. I
don't think gmail supports WKD.

Otherwise, you can simply send your exported key to the person you want to
give your public key to. You may want to use the option "--export-options
export-minimal" when exporting your key to keep the armor form key block
small.

It may also make sense to upload your key to some keyservers, so that people
can get your key without first having to contact you.

Regards,
Ingo