fingerprint associated public key does not match displayed public key

S.B. sami.badri at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 18:04:04 CET 2021

> Please reply inline unless your email client makes this difficult.

I will be doing that from now on.  I'm not sure of any other way
besides manually copying and pasting, but that's not a problem.

> There is a Frequently Asked Questions document that you may want to read if
you haven't done so already:

I read the whole thing.  It helped a little, but there was a lot that
I just don't get (yet).  I'll be reading through it again, along with
the users archives, and the manual itself.  I've started on a journey
here, I see that.  There's a lot to learn.  But I am thrilled to learn
it all.  I do appreciate all the help.

> The easiest way is to use WKD/WKS (Web Key Directory/Service) if your email
provider supports this because then some OpenPGP-aware automatically download
your key when someone enters your email address into their email client. I
don't think gmail supports WKD.

I'll look into a WKS/D supporting email provider.

> Otherwise, you can simply send your exported key to the person you want to
give your public key to.

Yeah so, I can attach the .asc file that's in my Disk/users/SamiBadri
folder (it's the only .asc file I've seen), but I'm assuming that is
my public key.  Is that correct?  Is there anyway to send your private
key?  I want to know so that I don't do it accidentally.  Also, if I
use the cat SamiB.asc command, the terminal reveals a certificate (and
I assume that's my public key certificate).  Can I copy/paste and send
that as a txt attachment?  Will they be able to do anything with it?
For instance, let's say they don't have my email, key ID, or
fingerprint, only the pgp public key block (aka certificate), can you
do anything with a txt-type file that only shows the certificate in
armor?

Lastly, I see that you have attached a signature .asc file with your
email.  I can import that file, and compare to?

S.B.