pinetry and emacs

Phillip Susi phill at thesusis.net
Tue Feb 9 21:55:56 CET 2021

Christian Chavez writes:

> Have you tried checking with update-alternatives which pinentry is default
> selected?
> I remember having to switch mine from pinentry-gnome to pinentry-tty on my
> machine (I don't use emacs though).

It was pinentry-curses.  I tried switching to pinentry-tty and it rapes
the tty even worse than the curses one.  At least some keystrokes
occasionally had some effect with the curses one.  With This one nothing
I hit would do anything.  Couldn't get it to eventually think I entered
a wrong password and give up, couldn't C-c, C-g, or C-z; I just had to
use ~. to force ssh to hang up.  Why and how is this program so abusive
of the terminal?