pinentry will not ask me for passphrase

Ondřej Synáček ondrejsynacek at fastmail.com
Mon Feb 15 16:23:38 CET 2021

On Mon Feb 15, 2021 at 4:16 PM CET, Lukas Pitschl wrote:
> Are you using the full path in your gpg-agent.conf?
> `pinentry-program /usr/local/bin/pinentry-mac`

Yes that is how I specified it, exactly like that.

> You might also try calling `/usr/local/bin/pinentry-mac —version` and
> see if that correctly reports the version.

That reports the following:

```
pinentry-mac (pinentry) 1.1.0
Copyright (C) 2016 g10 Code GmbH
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>
```

I think that is the latest version, right? I still do not understand how
specifying `pinentry-program` just overrides passphrase entirely.
That's pretty dangerous I think. Or maybe I'm just misunderstood the
way it's supposed to be used.