On future of GnuPG

Stefan Claas spam.trap.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 00:09:31 CET 2021

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 9:05 PM <markus.rosco at neverbox.com> wrote:

> On 2021-01-05 Stefan Claas via Gnupg-users - gnupg-users at gnupg.org wrote:
> > ...     but why are then SKS key servers
> > still in operation, which allows third parties to look up who signed
> > who's key and with what trust level and GnuPG's WoT support, compared
> > to sq and Hagrid?
>
> The landscape has changed dramatically from the times when the
> original PGP fundamentals were introduced. Today, for any secure
> personal communication system to be of practical use, it must
> be designed from the ground up observing the following simple
> principle: *anonymity is the necessary condition of privacy*.

That the landscape has changed dramatically everyone will
(hopefully) agree and your phrase is perfectly fine, but I do not
consider GnuPG or OpenPGP apps as tools giving users anonymity.

What you say would fit more for a cross-platform OpenSource app
like Bitmessage, compared to PGP's or GnuPG's privacy philosophy.

Regards
Stefan