Plan B - Who carries the torch?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jan 6 14:58:15 CET 2021

On Tue,  5 Jan 2021 16:46, Stefan Claas said:

> Not sure I understand you correctly, but why are then SKS key servers
> still in operation, which allows third parties to look up who signed
> who's key and with what trust level and GnuPG's WoT support, compared

Because that is the base of the WoT and there a legitimate use cases for
this.  You might also want to learn on how the WoT works to see why the
keyservers don't carry any information on what you call "trust level"
and what we call "ownertrust".  Just in case you meant the signature
class (0x10..0x13 aka generic,persona,casual,positive) the default is
"generic" and you need to employ the --ask-cert-level option to change
the default on a key by key case.

Further, the plan is to replace the SKS software by hockeypuck on the
servers.  Thus the existing defaults are still good defaults.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner