WKD & Sequoia

Stefan Claas spam.trap.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 16:20:18 CET 2021

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 9:35 AM André Colomb <andre at colomb.de> wrote:

> On 14/01/2021 00.06, Stefan Claas wrote:
> > Maybe, I don't know, readers here on the ML are asking themselves now why do we
> > have two methods, e.g. what is their purpose and what informations can
> > one gain from
> > an IMHO very nice WKD checker, Wiktor has created.
>
> Quoting from your own mail:
> "As you said this is a draft It should formulated this way IMHO that it
> allows the greatest flexibility in a protokoll, to fulfill all use
> cases, when it comes to WKD."
>
> https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2021-January/064645.html
>
> Nobody wants to remove any method, as that would reduce flexibility.
> The "advanced method" is not more complicated to set up, it's just a
> matter of preference really.

Yes, but as you IIRC said to me that direct-method usage is fine and
Wiktor's WKD checker gave also a green light for the direct-method
for my GitHub set-up, you see that it is still not working with GnuPG.

> > I think I have explained, at least for an expert like you, my set-up
> > for 300baud.de, I would use.
>
> I repeat, it's not clear to me yet.  But let's stop here and discuss
> that when you have the basics up and running.
>
> > As soon as time permits I will do this, even if this cost me
> > money I can spend for other things. But I gives me then a better
> > overview and I can correct myself while thinking my
> > set-up would be equally to GitHub's set-up. In case I get stucked I
> > would like to ask you
> > for advise. Please note: I will not use the advanced method, I like to
> > see if this will work
> > with sequoia-pgp and GnuPG.
>
> You don't need to spend money just to prove anything to the ML
> subscribers.  But when you do try, I offer to help with any problems
> coming up.  You should not rule out the advanced method yet.  Depending
> on your setup, it might actually be the easier route if wildcard domains
> are involved.

Thanks for the kind offer, like I said I will not use the advanced-method,
because it has a purpose, which I like to test and see and then if everything
works as expected I will also tell why not an advanced-method.

Best regards
Stefan