gpg: error retrieving 'erich at eckner.net' via WKD: Connection closed in DNS

Stefan Claas spam.trap.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:11:20 CET 2021

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 5:24 PM Erich Eckner via Gnupg-users
<gnupg-users at gnupg.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm playing around with my WKD setup (guess, why) and encountered the
> error in the subject when doing `gpg -vvvv --locate-external-keys
> erich at eckner.net`. Retrieving via curl and the manually-constructed url
> works fine, also I cannot find any problems in dns on that box. A second
> box shows the same behaviour, but on a third machine, it works. All three
> run the latest arch linux :-/
>
> What can cause a "Connection closed in DNS" error? (Maybe the error
> message can be improved: Doesn't dns use udp by default, which is
> connectionless?)

I did a quick check and according to Wiktor's WKD checker the direct-method
says that key is missing and the advanced method seems to be ok. sq.exe can
fetch your key and when I do a gpg --locate-keys erich at eckner.net it
fetches also a couple of others from you (with differrent email addresses
, which I must admit I do not understand why and would probably not need
when communicating with you.

Regards
Stefan