gpg: error retrieving 'erich at eckner.net' via WKD: Connection closed in DNS

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jan 20 13:40:08 CET 2021

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 17:24, Erich Eckner said:

> error in the subject when doing `gpg -vvvv --locate-external-keys

Many -v don't really help here because the actual task is done by the
dirmngr process.  Thus to debug this put

  log-file /somewhere/dirmngr.log
  verbose
  debug ipc,network,dns

into ~/.gnupg/dirmngr.conf and "gpgconf --kill dirmngr".  The log file
should give you a pretty good insight what's going on.

You may also use

  log-file socket://

and run in another tty

  watchgnupg --time-only --force

or with older version of gnupg

  watchgnupg --time-only --force $(gpgconf --list-dirs socketdir)/S.log

If we can identify common error patterns in the diagnostics we can
convey them to the gpg process to make debugging easier.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner