gpg: error retrieving 'erich at eckner.net' via WKD: Connection closed in DNS

Ángel angel at pgp.16bits.net
Fri Jan 22 21:13:25 CET 2021

On 2021-01-22 at 18:05 +0100, Erich Eckner via Gnupg-users wrote:

> I was more wondering, why gpg decides to go into "tor mode" on box #2,
> when there is actually no tor installed or running. I'm totally happy to
> force non-tor mode via config file, but I'm also open to help find the
> root for gpg's misjudgement of tor-availability.

The check is in dirmngr.c:
> int
> dirmngr_use_tor (void)
> {
>   if (tor_mode == TOR_MODE_AUTO)
>     {
>       /* Figure out whether Tor is running.  */
>       assuan_fd_t sock;
>
>       sock = assuan_sock_connect_byname (NULL, 0, 0, NULL, ASSUAN_SOCK_TOR);
>       if (sock == ASSUAN_INVALID_FD)
>         tor_mode = TOR_MODE_NO;
>       else
>         {
>           tor_mode = TOR_MODE_YES;
>           assuan_sock_close (sock);
>         }

That assuan_sock_connect_byname() tests the connection by connecting to
both tor port (9050) and the tor browser port (9150). It actually
starts negotiating a request (see socks5_connect)

>   /* For HOST being NULL we pass an empty string which indicates to
>      socks5_connect to stop midway during the proxy negotiation.  Note
>      that we can't pass NULL directly as this indicates IP address

I don't see how it would automatically treat it as having tor unless
you have a socks server on either 9050 or 9150.

Best regards