gpg cards

Philipp Schmidt philipp at knutschmidt.de
Thu Jan 28 10:53:13 CET 2021

Hello Everybody!

I have tried to something in the docs about this, but without success. For quite a while now, I am using a yubikey as gpg card and that is working really good. Since it is risky to have only one Key, I just purchased another one to create a clone of the first. So I went ahead and copied the very same keys from the backup to the second. But trying to actually use does not work, I get an error like: 'please insert card: […]' So.

What can I do to make gpg use the card as well (if possible) ?

Another thing I would really love to know is: Is it possible to use the gpg card as smartcard for the system login as well? Right now I am using the PIV functionality of the yubikey, but would really prefer to use one system.

Does anybody know if that is possible?

Last but not least I am still on a quest for a setup to use Full Disk Encryption and Security Token to actually decrypt the Disk on boot.

Does anybody know if that is possible with a gpg card?

Thanks ahead for any kind of help.

Best philipp