error searching keyserver: Network is unreachable

Christian Ribeaud christian.ribeaud at karakun.com
Sun Mar 7 13:52:59 CET 2021

Hi,

Thanks to all for the great support and the warm feedbacks, I learned a lot.

Finally, after a long search and research, I was able to solve the problem by putting 'standard-resolver' in a '~/.gnupg/dirmngr.conf' file.
I could not explain to you why though... __

Wishing you a great Sunday.
Best regards,

christian

On 07.03.21, 11:12, "Andrew Gallagher via Gnupg-users" <gnupg-users at gnupg.org> wrote:

    Hi, Christian

     > And, actually, we deployed our own (hkp://keyserver.dcc.sib.swiss:80)
    keyserver, which I am trying to access. But can't for some reason I do
    not understand.

    I can connect to that server from here, but it appear to contain only 85
    keys. Did you import a dump, or is it meant to be internal-only?

    > Desperately searching for hours now… I am NOT able to run following
    > command:
     >
    > gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.dcc.sib.swiss:80 --keyserver-options no-self-sigs-only,no-import-clean --search-keys <any-key>
     >
    > Always getting following output:
     >
    > gpg: error searching keyserver: No keyserver available > gpg: keyserver search failed: No keyserver available

    In the title of this thread however, you report "Network is
    unreachable". Are you getting both errors? "Network unreachable" is
    usually a network routing issue.

    What happens if you run the following in your terminal?

         host keyserver.dcc.sib.swiss
         ping keyserver.dcc.sib.swiss
         host keys.openpgp.org
         ping keys.openpgp.org

    > Changing keyserver does not help. I've tried
    > /ipv4.pool.sks-keyservers.net/ as well. Because the command takes
    > some time to return, I would assume that it is still trying to do
    > something. What could be the reason? How to fix it?
    The pool algorithm doesn't include a test for server capacity, so it is
    common to get directed to a node running a single-threaded SKS instance,
    which can lead to long timeouts. Try testing against pgpkeys.uk,
    pgpkeys.eu and keyserver.trifence.ch instead. If it times out on all of
    those, then I would suspect a network issue, either a bad routing table
    or a firewall DROP rule.

    > I am using v2.2.27, installed via Homebrew
    > (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/HEAD/Formula/gnupg.rb) on
    > Mac OS X Big Sur.
    Did you ever install from gpgtools.org or only homebrew?

    Andrew