We shall value email usage

Stefan Vasilev stefan.vasilev at posteo.ru
Wed Mar 31 22:28:45 CEST 2021

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> Am Mittwoch 24 März 2021 16:15:16 schrieb Stefan Vasilev via Gnupg-users:
>> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>>> What I observe is that knowledge and practive of email usage
>>> is declining. I notice it in many little things
>> This is quite normal, because millions of people nowadays are using
>> modern web based email clients
> Most webclients I have seen, are not as usable as native clients.
> But this is no excuse for not using email in a good way. :)
>
>> and those have with Gmail etc. the option to use OpenPGP
>> too. GnuPG with add-ons for a MUAs seems therefore a bit outdated
>> and is probably mostly used among Mailing List members.
> Yes, there is a perception of "outdatedness".
> Maybe it is needed to show the advantages to make it look modern.
> A tool that is more effective should be modern.
>
> Of course, email belong to many, a proprietary messenger to one vendor,
> guess who has more marketing money. ;)
>
>> An exception might be the new Thunderbird, with
>> OpenPGP support.
> The choise of implementing a pre-standard way of protected headers
> and making it the default without way to disable it, was doing email and
> secure email a disservice in my opionion. :(

The more I think about GnuPG with email MUA usage I strongly believe
that the Industry has better

options than email, especially when it comes to decentralised and
confidential communications.

Hopefully the Industry will take a look at affordable hardware based
encrypted Fax comms for

the little individual or small business owner.

https://www.tccsecure.com/Products/voice-fax-data-encryption/CSD3324spf-detail.aspx

Hardware based AES/DH crypto phones (no smartphones) would be a welcome
addition too.

Or that the OpenPGP community revives PGPfone, for free Internet calls,
at least ...

Regards

Stefan