gpg and TPM

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Thu May 13 23:03:51 CEST 2021

>I´m not that familiar with the TPM in general

Me neither.

>is the TPM owner (and SRK) password safe against brute force attacks?
>Or do you need a complex password for the TPM?

My understanding is that the TPM offers the *possibility* to protect
against brute force attacks (through the “dictionary attack lockout
reset” mechanism), but I am not sure whether that protection is enabled
by default or if the tpm2daemon (the new component within GnuPG in
charge of using the TPM) makes use of it.

Until I know more, I use with my TPM stronger PINs than what I normally
use with my OpenPGP tokens, just in case. :)

- Damien