Only GnuPG 2.2.x in Debian Bookworm?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Dec 11 13:19:11 CET 2022

On Samstag, 10. Dezember 2022 22:21:51 CET Karel van Gruiten via Gnupg-users
wrote:
> Debians next release Bookworm is scheduled for mid 2023 an the first
> deadlines are approaching in January. I am only a user, but I wonder why
> they stick to the 2.2-series and do not jump to the 2.3-builds as they have
> many new algorithms and should be quiet stable after all the
> Point-releases. But even sid is still at 2.2 so there is no sign of an
> update.

The Debians may be waiting for the 2.4 release (which was announced as the
next stable release after 2.2).

> If Debian Bookworm releases with 2.2.x users will not be able to
> use the new AE- and EC-algorithms unless 2.3.x will appear in backports.

This information is wrong. Support for most algorithms has been backported to
2.2. Almost all people who reported incompatibilities between 2.3 and 2.2 were
using outdated 2.2.x releases.

Regards,
Ingo