Thunderbird's hints and history for OpenPGP/MIME (new wiki page)

Piotr Morgwai Kotarbinski foss at morgwai.pl
Wed Feb 2 10:24:36 CET 2022

Regarding "History" section of the page:
I always thought, that the main reason was the fact that not all features of GnuPG were fully supported on 64bit Windows at the time when Thunderbird's old add-ons mechanism was being deprecated (GPGME specifically). See for example https://admin.hostpoint.ch/pipermail/enigmail-users_enigmail.net/2020-August/005724.html and following reply from Werner stating that "Andre will include a 64 bit version of gpgme.dll into the next gpg4win release".
This is somewhat confirmed by https://blog.thunderbird.net/2020/09/openpgp-in-thunderbird-78/ which states "This change was necessary to provide a seamless and integrated experience to users on all platforms".
It seems to me that porting GPGME to 64bit Windows was much simpler task than developing whole PGP support from scratch, but in spite of this, that's what TB team seemed to use as 1 of their reasons...

BTW: the page https://gnupg.org/download/supported_systems.html still states "64 bit versions of Windows are NOT supported", which probably should be updated to instead link to gpg4win.org.

Cheers!