Current state and contact (various questions)

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Feb 2 15:16:46 CET 2022

> this is my first post here. I'm an experienced Dev and FOSS contributor
> which worked quite some with gpg recently.

<Die Hard>

     Welcome to the party, pal!

</Die Hard>

:)

> 1. Who takes care for tasks like updating the website?

Ingo already addressed this fully and correctly, so I'll skip.

> 2. Difference of public key between gpg and Thunderbird. What do I have
> to do to yield the same public key file?

In my last email I included a link to what I said the last time this
came up on-list.  If you still have questions after reading that I'm
happy to answer them.

> 3. I'm already asking the Ubuntu community but want to ask here too: gpg
> on Ubuntu jammy is 12 months old running 2.2.27. How is the current
> process / communication handled? Is there anything I can do to
> support/speed up this process?

JFYI, the 2.2 series is a long-term support release.  That's probably
why Ubuntu and derivatives are still using it.  (Pop!_OS, an Ubuntu
derivative, is still shipping with 2.2.20.  Just think, it could be
worse...)  Ubuntu is pretty good about backporting security fixes to
older versions of GnuPG, so we don't believe there's any reason to
despair over the version they're shipping.

The 2.3 series is actually an experimental release.  As Werner said in
April of 2021, "We are pleased to announce the availability of a new
GnuPG release: version 2.3.0.  This release marks the start of public
testing releases eventually leading to a new stable version 2.4."

The entire 2.3 branch is a public beta of what will ultimately become
version 2.4.  I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't encourage
Ubuntu to adopt version 2.3 -- you do you, guy -- but I strongly
recommend that before you do, you have a good answer to this question:

"Why should Ubuntu drop a long-term support release of GnuPG in favor of
an experimental branch?"

The better your answer to that question, the better your chances of
convincing Ubuntu.

Good luck!