Help with "config.h file not found error" on Gnupg version 1.4.13

Francis Kp franciskp19 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 07:21:00 CEST 2022

Hi all,
As in exercise in understanding Cybersecurity in IoT better, I'm trying to
implement the flush-reload attack from the paper "FLUSH+RELOAD: A High
Resolution, Low Noise, L3 Cache Side-Channel Attack". The crux of the
attack is to extract the private key of RSA encryption used in Gnupg. One
of the steps to initiate the attack is to find certain memory addresses to
feed to a spy function. For that I'm trying to open a C executable in Gnu
debugger(gdb). The program is part of the Gnupg 1.4.13 version. My aim is
to get the memory address of a particular function by setting breakpoint at
that line. While compiling the c program using **gcc -g mpi-pow.c**, (And
yes I tried without the -g option) I'm getting this error:

*mpi-pow.c:28:10: fatal error: config.h: No such file or directory       28
| #include <config.h>          |          ^~~~~~~~~~    compilation
terminated*

These were the exact steps I did:-->

   1.  - Extracted the Gnupg source code using tar xjvf gnupg-1.4.13.tar.bz2
   2.  - cd gnupg-1.4.13/
   3.  - ./configure
   4.  - sudo make
   5.  - sudo make install

The source code of Gnupg 1.4.13 is at Link_to_code
<http://www.ring.gr.jp/pub/net/gnupg/gnupg/>
The original paper is here Link_to_paper
<https://eprint.iacr.org/2013/448.pdf>

A quick google search told me that "In computing, configuration files
(commonly known simply as config files) are files used to configure the
parameters and initial settings for some computer programs". *And as far as
I understood, the config file is made when the "./configure" command is run
and in this case, it simply means there is no config.h file in the current
directory*. There were no errors during the compilation of Gnupg.

I'm using the Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz processor.
I tried it on WSL and on Ubuntu 20.04 installed on dual boot.

 1. What might be the reason ?
 2. How can I rectify this error ?

Any help would be highly appreciated.