symmetric encryption of '[stdin]' failed

Fourhundred Thecat 400thecat at gmx.ch
Sat Oct 15 16:37:36 CEST 2022

 > On 15/10/2022 14.36, Robert J. Hansen via Gnupg-users wrote:
>> Why does gpg-agent interject itself into symmetric encryption at all?
>
> Where in that command line do you specify a passphrase?
>
> You don't.
>
> gpg-agent is getting fired up in order to ask you what passphrase to use
> for the symmetric encryption.

why can't gpg accept passphrase in the terminal?

Why does it need to start a daemon?

gpg-agent is supposed to be used for managing private and public keys.
At least that's what the man page says.

Besides, when I use "gpg -c file", it works fine. I =get asked for
passphrase (via pinentry, I think)

so I am not sure what you mean by "Where in that command line do you
specify a passphrase"