Problem regarding dirmngr on Debian stable

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Oct 23 19:13:19 CEST 2022

On Samstag, 22. Oktober 2022 19:12:23 CEST Dennis Clarke via Gnupg-users wrote:
>      I saw that the version of GnuPG on Debian stable was not really up
> to date and thus decided to build my own local copy from recent sources.
[...]
> $ gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --search-keys blah-blah-blah-keyid
> gpg: WARNING: server 'dirmngr' is older than us (2.2.27 < 2.3.8)
> gpg: Note: Outdated servers may lack important security fixes.
> gpg: Note: Use the command "gpgconf --kill all" to restart them.
> gpg: data source ....
>
> There is no dirmngr binary on this machine anywhere.

/usr/bin/dirmngr is part of the dirmngr package on Debian stable.
https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=dirmngr&mode=path&suite=stable&arch=any

> Why am I seeing this strange message ?

Did you check whether there is an old dirmngr still running? Did you run
`gpgconf --kill all` as recommended by the above message?

Regards,
Ingo