mutt locking

raf gnupg at raf.org
Wed Oct 26 01:14:31 CEST 2022

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 05:16:10PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag 23 September 2022 18:19:42 schrieb Louis Holbrook via Gnupg-users:
> > - I would like to use pinentry-tty during my normal gpg cli operations.
> > - I am fine with using pinentry-curses in the mutt context
> >
> > Is there a way to do this?
>
> FWIW: Probably not, as the pinentry is a configuration of gpg-agent.
> In theory you could start a new gpg-agent with a different configuration
> option, but pinentry-curses really so bad? :)
>
> Bernhard

I find it to be really bad when used from within gvim.
The display doesn't work at all (for me), and most of
the time, I end up with a runaway process afterwards
consuming all the CPU which I have to kill manually. I
think pinentry-tty is the only pinentry program that
works in all of the environments that I need it to.

It might be possible to configure gpg-agent to use a
local script as the pinentry program, and that script
distinguishes between use in mutt and everything else
(perhaps by setting an environment variable whenever
mutt is launched), and then execs the preferred
pinentry program for each environment.

cheers,
raf