Application deadlock when using GnuPG, gpgsm, and Scute

vuori vuori at notcom.org
Tue Apr 11 12:27:31 CEST 2023

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 10:50:39AM +0200, Simon Josefsson via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Are there well-maintained debian packages for GnuPG 2.4 anywhere?  I
> recently ran into yet another bug that has been fixed in later versions
> that Debian/Trisquel doesn't ship, so wondered this recently as well.
>
> I've seen some work here:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1022702#10
>
> If nobody has done this, is there interest in providing such packages?

I was wondering about this a while ago. A PPA or similar external repo
would be very convenient if the Debian situation can't be sorted out,
since there are several post-2.2 features I'd like to use.

I'm not a party to the ongoing standardization efforts and can't speak
about the technical merits of the proposals, but from a user
perspective, Debian seems to be in the wrong here: if putatively not
fully following standards were a general reason for not providing
updates to a package, there would be very few packages left in Debian.

IMO the maintainer should provide updated packages with a default
configuration that keeps to "safe" (same as 2.2?) data formats if they
think the newer formats will be a problem in the future—not hold back
the entire package.

 -Valtteri