YubiKey/OpenPGP card connection issues for non-root user

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Thu Aug 3 15:28:02 CEST 2023

Felix E. Klee <felix.klee at inka.de> wrote:
    > system (running in VMware under Windows), it sometimes takes minutes to

    >     [felix at felix-arch ~]$ ls /dev/bus/usb/002/011 /dev/bus/usb/002/011

I think you need to make sure that it's not VMware that's failing to plug the
device through in a timely manner.

dmesg -w

Would confirm that it's getting there.  You say that you can get it working
as root.  How does --card-status know which USB device to use?  Does it
perhaps scan through all devices? I wonder if it is getting stuck on some
other device that it hasn't got permission?

    > How do I fix that?

    > I am happy to substitute the udev rules with a timer, or to call some
    > command to give permissions every time I want to use the YubiKey or the
    > OpenPGP card. I just would like the whole process to be more reliable.
    > Currently, it’s extremely frustrating.

!-indeed.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )