Second OpenPGP-card

andrewg andrewg at andrewg.com
Fri Feb 9 15:48:43 CET 2024

On 2024-02-09 14:36, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Next question: Can I transfer somehow the key from one card to the
> other to use the same encrypted files foo.gpg from my password store:
>
> purism at pureos:~$ find .password-store/ -type f | wc -l
> 373

No, the entire point of an openpgp card is that you can't copy the key
material off it (otherwise it would have no advantages over a thumb
drive). I always recommend that people generate their key material on a
removable encrypted drive and then copy it onto the card, keeping a
backup copy on the encrypted drive. Otherwise you run the risk of data
loss when your card breaks or is lost.

> If not, I could with a script decrypt all the files in this tree and
> encrypt them again after setup the card. But, it would be better just
> copy the files over by SCP, also when passwords get added or updated.

It would depend on how `pass` works, whether there are any particular
parameters that need to be supplied with the encryption command. Perhaps
best to ask the `pass` maintainers about support for re-encryption in
general - the process shouldn't depend on whether or not you're using a
card.