Concerns regarding T3065 dirmngr: proxy issues with dnslookup causing failure

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Oct 1 12:21:51 CEST 2024

Hi!

> gpg2 --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com --keyserver-options
> "timeout=40 http-proxy=$http_proxy" --recv-keys
> 409B6B1796C275462A1703113804BB82D39DC0E3

You should configure proxy settings and other keyserver options in
dirmngr.conf and not on the gpg comnand line or conf file.

> IMHO as the actual DNS resolution may not be available in a networking
> environment that provides internet access over an HTTP proxy service,

That is why we have our own resolver.  The whole thing has been
explained in the ticket and elsewhere.

BTW, the entire keyserver thing is more or less useless these days
because there is no proper working network of keyservers anymore.  Use
the Web Key Directory or ask for a signed initial mail to get the key.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein