Text (non-binary) keyring format

Jakob Bohm jb-gnumlists at wisemo.com
Mon Sep 16 14:06:03 CEST 2024

On 2024-09-13 13:39, Werner Koch via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2024 13:28, Alejandro Colomar said:
>
>> I have my ~/.gnupg keyring under git source control, which helps
>> creating and updating backups, and also having a history of the changes.
> We actually moved to an SQL database to speed up things.  If you have
> hundreds of keys with thousands of key signatures it is very helpful to
> have indices; it really speeds up things.
This isn't the first time GnuPG prematurely optimized pubring access.

Years ago, I noticed that the certificate validation cache prematurely
optimized when the problem was a linear search of the pubring itself,
not the cryptographic validation.  Obvious solution at the time would
have been to keep a hash table of file offsets for key fingerprints .

Enjoy

Jakob