Upgrade woes

Phillip Susi phill at thesusis.net
Fri Sep 27 15:23:11 CEST 2024

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

> If you copy ~/.gnupg make sure to copy also subdirectories and hidden
> files (cp -a).  You also need to stop any running agent but gpg will
> show you a warning if you forget this.

I used midnight commander to copy.  I think it included everything and
was set to preserve attributes.  I'll try again with cp -a.

>> I chrooted into the old system and tried to export the keys, but it just
>> keeps commplaining: error receiving key from agent, permission denied.
>
> That are the private keys which you might have not copied
> (~/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d)

What copy?  I said I chrooted into the original system.

>> Is there a way to get it to stop using this dang agent stuff and just
>> prompt me for the password normally like it used to?
>
> No.  We use the agent for more than 20 years and you used it with
> 2.2.27 too.

Then how do you convince the agent to work in a chroot?  At first it
just keep saying inappropriate ioctl for the device.  I tried bind
mounting /sys, /proc, /dev, and /dev/pts into the chroot and it changed
to the permission denied error without any prompting for my password.