Upgrade woes

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Sep 26 15:50:12 CEST 2024

Hi!

On Wed, 25 Sep 2024 17:17, Phillip Susi said:

> realized I forgot to migrate my gpg keys to the new system.  Old one was
> running 2.2.27, and now I am running 2.2.40.  I tried copying the .gnupg

There is no difference in the architecture between 2.2.27 and 2.2.40.
However, Debian has a lot of intrusive patches on top of GnuPG and thus
you can't compare a stock GnuPG with what Debian delivers.

If you copy ~/.gnupg make sure to copy also subdirectories and hidden
files (cp -a).  You also need to stop any running agent but gpg will
show you a warning if you forget this.

> I chrooted into the old system and tried to export the keys, but it just
> keeps commplaining: error receiving key from agent, permission denied.

That are the private keys which you might have not copied
(~/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d)

> Is there a way to get it to stop using this dang agent stuff and just
> prompt me for the password normally like it used to?

No.  We use the agent for more than 20 years and you used it with
2.2.27 too.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein