[gnutls-dev]sigpipe behavior changed?

Nikos Mavroyanopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Jul 15 21:31:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:58:37AM -0700, Neil Spring wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've used wmbiff with gnutls for a while now. I've been able
> to apm suspend my machine, bring it back, and have wmbiff
> notice that the connection has failed due to timeout and
> reconnect.
[...]
> My apologies if I'm reporting a bug that has been fixed in
> 0.5.0.
> So the question is, is gnutls supposed to ignore sigpipe?

No, and unfortunately this was not properly documented.
The change was in gnutls_0_2_11 where gnutls_global_init()
was modified to no longer call signal(), to ignore SIGPIPE.

I believe it is better that way, because gnutls does not
cope with the transport layer directly, and in some applications
blocking this signal might break things.

In brief the current behaviour of gnutls is not to cope with signals
at all.

--
Nikos Mavroyanopoulos
mailto:nmav at gnutls.org