[gnutls-dev] Re: Is 2MB too large for self tests?

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Sun Aug 22 18:03:52 CEST 2004

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>>
>> The old test suite was ~600kb, but the new one is ~2MB, compressed.
>> Do people feel this is too large?  It might be that both the old and
>> the new test suite are useful, if so that would enlarge the package by
>> ~2.6MB (compressed).
>
> This seems fine to me.  Many people will receive the software as part
> of a binary distribution and will never download the tests.  Those
> that do build from source code should care that the software they just
> built works correctly so providing the tests as part of the package is
> clearly worth the extra download time.

Exactly my sentiment.  Thanks for sharing your view.

FWIW, the test suite has already triggered several bugs.  For example,
it triggered one bug in the DER decoder which was caused by the
recently added BER support in libtasn1.  So the next release will
probably have to wait until there is a new libtasn1 release, and the
license on the test suite has been settled.

Thanks,
Simon