[gnutls-dev] Re: Fedora gnutls-1.0.20-5.src.rpm

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Sat Jan 22 13:04:43 CET 2005

Albert Chin <gnutls-dev at mlists.thewrittenword.com> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 01:39:05AM -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
>> The latest development RPM from Fedora for gnutls-1.0.20 does not
>> contain the SRP authentication code because of the following Changelog
>> entry:
>>   * Tue Sep  7 2004 Jeff Johnson <jbj at redhat.com> 1.0.20-2
>>   - patent tainted SRP code removed.
>>
>> Is this correct? If so, should SRP be disabled from gnutls?
>
> Seems there are some possible patent issues:

I think everyone will have to make their own decision, although, as
far as I am aware, the SRP patent is FUD.

If anyone know of any real threats against anyone distributing
software with SRP in it, I'd like to know about it.  If I understood
correctly, for example Kermit uses SRP, without a license, and it is
even being distributed commercially.

Perhaps Nikos can tell you more.

Regards,
Simon